I think some very good points are being part made here.

For one, I too probably do most of my non-classical listening here on this forum for several reasons.

1.) I like the music better. I like songs that sound authentic and this forum is dripping with authenticity and originality.

2.) Commercial music to me is like a hamburger chain drive through. "We have a cheeseburger and a cheeseburger, and fat with some fat. That's your choice. Take it or leave it." Uh, no thanks.

3.) I like being part of a community of musicians. I don't want to give my money to an institution or people who couldn't care less whether I live or die and offer me a choice between a cheeseburger and a cheeseburger.

4.) This forum is where I have learned to write better over the past four years. I am happy that people are buying my stuff on Amazon and iTunes and stuff, and I also know that without the friends and mentors I have made here, that would not be happening.

So yeah, I plan to stick around. My website is literally busting open at the seams with music now and I have this group to thank.

And yes, I support independent artists and not the machine--but not as a political cause. I just like real music better. I don't like stuff that comes out of the machine.