I agree it's mostly about money...but feel that has probably been said almost forever. It may never be more true than now though. But, we all know it is the music business. I don't blame them. Until I'm willing to put my money behind it; I won't tell them how it should be done. Once again, money talks.

I'm not totally sure how I feel about the number of song writing credits that are given out now. Producers also get a lot of writing credit; and personally I feel they deserve it. They are typically more in tune with what sells than the artist. Many times, the artist (if they are commercial) are relying on the producer to get them "that sound." Some of the repeating of melodic pieces at various points becomes essential. They didn't write it, but it wouldn't have been placed where it was without them either.

Personally, I don't care if it one "writer" or 100. Either I like the song or I don't. For me, it's about the song.

It's also fairly well known that there were MANY people instrumental in the hits of "back in the day" that weren't credited. To me, that is much worse.

Also, ghost writing is nothing new. I've done it to some extent and it can be lucrative. I'm not totally writing a song for an artist. I'm simply taking what they want to be song, and help that happen. They are still involved. It's their concept. It's not a song they would have written without me, or someone like me. I also wouldn't have written that song without them.

The analogy about "I Write the Songs"; isn't very accurate though. It misrepresents what the other people involved in a project do. They don't make it about them. The focus is ENTIRELY on the artist.

To say CD sales are down at this point, doesn't make much sense. It's not a preferred medium for music consumption right now. News flash, cassette sales are REALLY down. People must be buying less music? They are still consuming. I feel probably more than ever. The money and how it's paid has shifted greatly though.

This is always going to be a very lopsided discussion on a forum such as this. Most of us here are musicians, and/or song writers. If you ask a craft beer maker on a beer crafting forum what he thinks of the domestic brands, the conversation would be similar I would guess.

I thought the article presented was great. I love seeing things like this. Great discussion. Thank you to the OP for posting it! smile

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.