Originally Posted By: cliftond
Well, the folks in Nashville would and I suppose still do, get a pro singer to record demo's of songs that they would pitch to artists, and, I think that is a good idea. A great song sang by a poor vocalist will be a poor song, mostly, on the other hand a great vocalist can bring a poor song some hope. Fact, vocals make or break a song most of the time. BIAB hasnt started singing yet, so, I do the best that I can with my vocals. It does make a difference.

You might think so, but nope.... not true.

Having a good vocalist is true. Yes, it helps to have a singer who sounds like the artist you're trying to pitch for. Or at least one that sounds pro and not your cousin who sings in the choir once a week.

Often, a great song will shine through the quality of the recording or the production.

However, a great singer, no matter how good they are CAN NOT sing well enough to make a poorly written song sound like a hit. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

The best advice I would offer is that BEFORE you spend the money on a "good singer".... work on the song. If it's a first draft and you think this is the next big hit for some super star artist.... pause and get some other opinions. DOn't ask your friends or the folks on internet music site forums. Most of them don't know what a good song is from the writing point of view. Get with some writer specific places.... forums where song writers with a track record hang out, and get feedback from there. Submit your rough version of the song, with a note that it's a work in progress to places like the TAXI forum (it's free to join the forum)..... or join and submit to the screeners. They do evaluations if you ask for it. Or another place is the Nashville Songwriter's Association International. They claim to have staff to evaluate your music who have written the hits you have heard.

Only when you get positive feedback from them .... understanding that each person who listens as an evaluator will have a different opinion..... would you possibly think about hiring a pro to sing it. If you hire a pro right up front and then realize that the song has serious musical or lyrical issues, you have to rehire the pro to sing it again.

And yeah... you can get demo singers cheap (relatively speaking) who are working the demo circuit in Nashville waiting on their big break. Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks both worked as demo singers in Nashville before their big break.

First... get your song right.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.