For a while my PC hangs & freezes all of a sudden, about once every 2 days.

It seems most of the times when closing a hard disk folder or program by clicking the (red) X right upper corner. The lot crashes shown a frozen blue circle, appearing on a mouse click there, and nothing goes then, no reaction from mouse, keyboard, or pressing ALT-DEL-CNRTL. Needs a hardware cold-boot. Maybe i can change some settings in the (latest) BIOS of my ASUS x99 mainboard?

The BIOS is capable of a lot of tweaks for gaming, but i left all standard, only turned onboard audio and WIFI are switched off, (latter releases an extra PCIe slot that way).

Cold booting doesn't show any errors after boot-up, PC runs smoothly after a fresh boot, and nothing i can find in windows log files. Not really USB drive related but with SATA, could be SSD related maybe. 2 Samsung SSD 850 pro's, the most reliable they say. Over provisioning active, and latest firmware installed.

So far done: Windows cleanup, SFC /scannow (100% OK), reinstalled graphics (AMD Radeon) thoroughly by removing drivers & cleanup thereof. Reinstalled all needed VC basics, done memory hard ware test, Checkdisk on the used drives, Antivirus and spyware testing, CCleaner registry check. Reinstalled audio too, but i think it has to do with Windows (64bit) itself.

The only real change i made is giving up totally on Office 2016/365, bought it, but had constant (license) problems with it, and use Soffice now instead; doubt if that's the reason.

A while before these crashes started i updated my Mainboards' BIOS, checked Chipset drivers, but the PC ran smoothly for at least 2 months.

Any idea's from experts on windows 10 welcome! thnx, F