Originally Posted By: David Snyder

... maybe some Yes, some jazz, some classical rock, maybe some STEELY DAN AJA! OH YEAH! I am a happy man.

Where I work we have a system worth thousands and thousands of dollars that is focused around vinyl. Literally probably close to a 100k system. Audiophile to the extreme where even cables are a point of contention. <grin>

The owner recently found a rare 'excellent' quality vinyl copy of AJA (special print) and bought it.
We had a stressful day last week, and mid afternoon he asked 'You want to listen to something and relax?'

I walked over to his 'new' Aja acquirement, picked it up and handed it to him.
After a few minutes of listening he remarked 'Wow, this is nice!'

So your remark kinda hit home for me.
I have 2 copies of that AJA vinyl, both have their wear and tear over the years, but it was awful nice to just sit down and listen to something coherent in series.

So many other examples come to mind. Everything Pink Floyd did in the 70's-80s should be listened to as an album, some Beatles, ELO, Yes (Yes!), etc etc are examples.

From what I gather the article indeed references the listening habits of today's market as opposed to the value of a true album.
To me, mastering an album/CD still includes the art of the order of songs, the flow (including key changes between songs and the effect it has from one song to the next) and the segues between songs (think Dark Side of the Moon) that makes it a true piece of art.
I also remember a stage in music where people did their own 'Mix' compilations, arranging songs in an order to achieve the same effect.

I do not think these things will disappear, as appreciation of art can be defined/taught .. it's just not the mainstream market currently. As someone mentioned; things are cyclical. It'll come around again.
Either that or we are truly losing our capacities ...

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome