@ rharv

"Losing our capacities..."

Brilliant. That is what I was trying to say. And that is the problem.

I saw a great article by a jazz musician several years ago breaking down a Steely Dan song from that album, and the theme was: "Why is this good?"

He described in exquisite detail the chord inversions being used, not just any old chord inversion, but an EXACT chord inversion that could only be played in only one place on the keyboard or guitar, the exact notes in a sax solo, and why they were perfect, the exact effects being used on Fagen's voice and why they used them, the exact notes in the backing vox, and why no other notes would have worked to get that inimitable feel and sound they had going on.

Then he ended with something like "And that's why it sounds like Steely Dan." I wish I had bookmarked it man. It was brilliant.

The point he was making is that they put SO much time and effort into the smallest of details, and as much effort into mixing and mastering, so when we put the needle down on AJA we go "Aaaaah...yes...thanks guys." We truly feel thankful they did all of this hard work for us.

Most of the time these days when I try and listen to something new my thought is the opposite:

"Why are you forcing me to listen to this? This is torture."

That is what we are losing, or have lost.