I know this thread has taken many turns but earlier I read one of the David's using McCartney in an example of someone just jamming his butt off, writes a great song, does he know the circle of fifth's?

From Wikipedia:

McCartney's father was a trumpet player and pianist, who had led Jim Mac's Jazz Band in the 1920s. He kept an upright piano in the front room, encouraged his sons to be musical and advised Paul to take piano lessons but Paul preferred to learn by ear.

I'll say the majority of legendary players and songwriters will have a good grounding in music even if it's not obvious at first. Sometimes you have to dig to find it. Paul may have learned by ear but the house was steeped in music, I'm sure his father practiced a lot and you pick things up in that environment. There are transcendental geniuses with ears who seem to be able to play anything with zero musical background but that's rare.

Ok, back to the technical wizardry stuff...

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.