Originally Posted By: floyd jane
On the other hand, the Showcase continues to attract more and more users.

It is warm, inviting, encouraging.

Obviously, the people who make it that way are good with the "way it works" - as demonstrated by their posts in this thread

Floyd, I totally agree.

Here's my take on this thread...

The Users Showcase forum began in 2010 and since that time it has grown and grown and grown. As I see it, the reason it's so popular now is because users feel confident that they can post a song and that the responses to their song will be respectful and that the person posting will not be singled out for ridicule.

• In other words, people feel safe when they use Users Showcase.

The reason for the forum's success is largely because of long-time regulars who take the time to respond to the work of others. In 2017, long-time users who regularly commented on the work of others were:

Quote:
Videotrack, David Snyder, Al David, furry, Joanne Cooper, 44fl, F.M.M., Robertkc, Janice & Bud, floyd jane, Scott C, jannesan, Rob4580, Animarorecords, RnAM, dani48, PeterF, Tommyad, rsdean, Torrey Bliss, ROG, Joanne Cooper, Sergio Guarneri, BlueAttitude, gruverider, Guitarhacker, Steve Young, Greg Johnson, Charlie Fogle, RichMac, Sundance.

Throughout 2017, most of these people spent a significant amount of time showing that they care. They collectively offered heaps of encouraging comments and made people feel welcomed and valued. Over the years, there have been many others who have also given considerable time and energy to the forum.

It is not an accident that in the above list, most of the forum's top song-posters in 2017 are also found. People who visit Users Showcase respect the above list of long-time forumites EXACTLY because of the way that they respond to those who post songs as well as the way that they respond to other users who listen to the songs these regulars posts.

• Users Showcase is a not simply a forum, it’s a neighbourhood.

Because of this, posts and sequences of posts within a thread are more like conversation than commentary or critique. Also because of this, each individual poster who creates a thread should be able to conduct their conversation in whatever way they want. Everyone who uses the forum is free to treat it however they wish. It never has been a 'one size fits all' scenario.

• It seems to me that what is being criticised in this thread is the mechanics that has made Users Showcase so popular.

Almost everyone who posts in the Showcase forum submits the very best work that they know how to prepare. Their effort is considerable and the above list of regulars have taken time to applaud individuals' achievements. Many in the above list also provide the forum with some of the most impressive work that uses PG Music products.

• Shouldn't these people be commended rather than criticised?
  • Aren't the above regulars setting a positive tone for PG Music and the company's products?
  • Haven't these long-time users earnt enough right and respect to maintain any thread that they create in whatever way they see fit?

Any way I look at it, the reason that Users Showcase continues to grow positively and as a huge credit to PG Music is because of the way it presently operates and because of ALL the long-time users who take the time and make the effort to keep Users Showcase a generous and pleasant neighbourhood to visit.

....end of my take on it.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024