I asked the question, "Who has the rights to the audio and mixes?" and received the following response:

Quote:
Hi Jim,

Thank you ever so much for reaching out and spreading the word. That is more than appreciated.

To answer your question: "who retains the rights to the audio and to the mixes"

The Mix Challenge is simulating a "client 2 business" scenario. The rights of the audio stays with the songwriter of course. The client requests a "new mix" of his production. In the real world, the mix engineer keeps backups of the mix, but has otherwise no higher rights than the songwriter. It does count to good business though to mention the mix engineer post release.

Same goes for the Mastering Challenge.

For the Remix Challenge, it's a bit different. Here, the original production belongs to the songwriter. In case of the remix, it's basically a "collaboration". The Remixer has all rights to his remix, but it's still an original by the client requesting the remix. If it comes to an official release (on a CD), the client should clear all the licenses. Most of the time, participants ask "can we release?!" and the client is like "sure!"

The Songwriting Competition is simple. You create something based upon the given theme and genre, and all licenses belong to you.

If you got more questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,

CTO of the Mix Challenge
www.mix-challenge.com

Last edited by Jim Fogle; 04/25/18 09:34 AM. Reason: Edited at Respondent's request

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home