Hi w,

I'm not quite sure how to reply because I'm not completely certain that I understand what you're asking. For this reason, I'll just write down everything that I think might be useful so you so that you can select those sections (if any) that apply.

1. 12/8 is a compound time signature. It has four beats to the bar (just like 4/4). Because it is a compound signature, though, the beat note is defined as a dotted quarter note.

2. Since a dotted quarter note contains three eighth notes, a compound time signature has beat notes that sub-divide, in the first instance, into units of 3. By comparison, a simple time signature has beat notes that subdivide, in the first instance, into units of 2.

3. A beat note in 4/4 can also be subdivided into units of three by using eighth-note triplets.

4. BIAB treats 12/8 as a triplet variation of 4/4. This is fine since it meets all the necessary criteria... namely, there are four beats in a bar and each beat is subdivided into 3.

5. From a notation perspective, though, notating a 12/8 song in 4/4 is visually confusing even though it plays fine.

6. I've just checked and BIAB 2018 for Mac now has the enhanced notation editor where it's possible to display a 4/4 triplet version of 12/8 as a 12/8. With my Windows version of BIAB, I can do this by clicking on the button shown below. From what I read, it sounds like something similar should also be available to you if you have BIAB 2018.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
12-8 time signature.JPG (53.56 KB, 24 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024