I always reply to other's posts on my songs, although at times I've just missed seeing them. I would feel like I was slighting someone if I didn't, as I have posted comments on others' songs that got no reply or a "thank you." To me it's just being courteous. I agree with Josie (Sundance) that I feel I owe a reply to any individual who takes the time to comment or compliment. When you play live, unless you really suck, you spend a LOT of time saying "Thank you." offstage as well as on. Again just courtesy. As for the "habitual bumpers" I have to say I agree with Floyd, music is all about "self promotion" and some people feel they need it. I don't see any blatant misuse on the forums that I couldn't ignore.

Also, having been a guitar/banjo teacher for over 40 years now, I can't ignore anyone who asks for advice or compliments a guitar lick or sound. I'll explain until they are satisfied or post a link that gives a more detailed explanation. It probably "bloats the thread" but that's never been the purpose of my responses. Often others' posts have led me to start a topic on a subject that I think could help folks, whether it's mixing, vocal skills, playing the banjo, or using specific equipment, instruments, setup etc. To me these forums are all about helping others.

A couple of weeks ago I helped a new member, Phil Leith, get going with BIAB. I helped him offline with producing and mixing and posting his work. Finally I advised him to respond to every comment he received on his work out of courtesy. I'm promoting what some folks on here don't like by doing that, but I think it's proper etiquette.

And finally, I think I have one topic where I posted 47 replies out of 74 total posts. Sounds like a record to me after reading Eddie's summation. I replied to everyone who posted and to some who are on the forum that sent me posts via Facebook. I also posted a reply every time the song ("Not Every Day Was Sad") hit another milestone "views" number, to thank everyone who was listening/reading, whatever. I was overwhelmed that a song I'd posted only 10 months earlier had racked up over 11,000 views. I finally decided to just let it go when no one I asked could explain to me how it got that many views and the Soundcloud plays were in the low hundreds.

So suffice it to say I think there are a lot of reasons that posts might appear to be "self promotion" or "spamming." But for me, and I gather for most people who posted on this thread, they are just courteous or explanatory responses to someone or something that was mentioned in that thread. Whatever, going forward I will always respond to anyone who posts on my songs, and respond with an explanation when I think it's helpful.

To each his own.

Keep 'em coming,
Bob Buford