Hey Deryk,

That's an interesting request of yours. To be honest, I haven't really thought about a favorite -- on this CD at least. So I'm giving all the tracks another listen. I gotta say I really like all of them. But there are some narrow standouts.

Quiet Recitation -- I really like the Hammond B3 sound I found. This was by way of the Sforzando synth that was bundled with BiaB 2017, by the way -- the BiaB Rock Organ patch. So anyway, the B3 got the nod for the solo instrument. But I'm also kinda partial to that melody track as well. Forceful without being overbearing is one way I'd describe it.

Images of Jenny -- This is an unusual piece. It is 100% Real tracks. When searching for a decent sounding rhythm section for a chord progression I'd written, I decided to try the Melodist. I unchecked "Generate Chords" and "Generate Melody" and "Allow Style Change." I don't remember which style I selected -- probably an easy-on-the-ears Pop selection. Basically I just wanted the Melodist to generate a set of rhythm tracks for me. And man, did it ever! It was so good, I just left it alone. I didn't even think about adding a melody track to it. I think it works surprisingly well just the way it is. There's enough "purpose" in what is allegedly a guitar rhythm track that it was able to take over the Melody chores. I read music, and I got lucky with this track -- the notation is displayed for this one, which isn't all that common with Realtracks, as I'm sure you know. So I can't take much credit for this tune. Besides a chord progression I supplied and mixdowns, it is all BiaB.

I really like the level I managed to get with the Jazz guitar (c/o Sforzando) on Wild Glimmer -- and I kinda like the rest of the piece too. smile

I guess I like Pensive Exes because it is entirely unplugged, plus I think the Pan Flute has a nice, strong melody.

And I like the solo instrument on Wildly Beautiful -- it is remarkably full sounding in the lower registers, which its Melody exploits. That instrument, by the way, is BiaB's MIDI 89 patch -- New Age. Just straight BiaB MIDI. It sounded so good, I recorded the entire tune to .wav files within BiaB. First the rhythm section as its own .wav file (since it was already Realtracks selections), and then the Melody, converting from MIDI to .wav. I brought both tracks into Sonar, where I was able to do a good mixdown on the two tracks. My only complaint about this track as you hear it on Soundcloud is the first three or four notes of the Melody instrument are a bit soft and get buried in the mix. This is a correctable problem, but I'll have to go back to the original .MGU file, set the Melody track to "Edit" mode and then boost the velocity for those first few notes. Then resave and reconvert, yada yada. Just haven't felt like doing it yet.

Well, that kinda surprised me that I have five standout favorites -- more or less. It's really hard to choose, though, because really I like 'em all. And that is due entirely to the winnowing process that I employed for putting this CD together. I probably have another 20 or 30 tunes that didn't make the cut for my CDs for one reason or another. Mostly due to having melodies weaker than I liked. So I guess I have to state that, if I can arrive at a strong or otherwise captivating melody, the tune has a good chance of making it through the winnowing process.

Last edited by cooltouch; 05/25/18 10:00 AM.