We had one jam with congas, bass, 2 guitars and trumpet. There was a speed up issue in every song. I will blame everyone rather than one since everyone just went along for the ride :-) The slower the song the worse the speed-up. One song started at 88 and ended at 160+. The melody dropped out the 2nd time around due to the speed change. After that I put BIAB in with drums. All the remaining songs stayed dead on speed (totally fixed the problem). So now if the players want to play without BIAB I have BIAB count us in and I mute all tracks at bar #1 so I can use BIAB to determine if we sped up too much. If we did I use BIAB the rest of the night. The drummer who dropped out never came out to jam and always bragged about how great he was. I suspect he may have dropped out because he is afraid to take the test (the insecure often are afraid to admit they are and will blame other things to protect themselves). If this is true it is sad because I found four web pages with methods to resolve a speed up issue in one's playing. Running from a problem is not the way to solve it. At the same time if you are not a pro who cares? Use BIAB and have fun. So far the world has not come to an end as a result of using BIAB to enhance our jams and I doubt it ever will :-) We seem to have just as much fun.

Last edited by bowlesj; 05/28/18 09:19 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles