Has anybody ever considered that you may be in a place where you are so comfortable with a certain genre that you tend to write only in that genre?

I ask because I thought I was getting into that place, and I decided that in 2018 I was going to write in as many different genres as possible. In fact I want to write 10 songs with different flavors for a CD, Thus far in 2018 I have done:

Big Band (As Long As You're Gone)
Jazz instrumental (Groundhog Day)
Industrial/Trance (Titles)
Country rock (Livin' On Wheels)
Country ballad (How To Forget)
Straight on rocker (3 Wives - currently in the oven)
A folk song a la Pete Seeger (I Hope Somebody Cries - currently in the oven)
Disco (not yet completed or published)

Yet to come is a ska tune, a la Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Thinking on that one now.

A symphonic piece, complete with movements (think about how MacArthur Park is done). That is going to take some time as it will be written in many chunks and then seamed together later. I have to do it that way because of meter and tempo changes, and some parts will be free form with no rhythm at all.

This software is SO versatile I have found everything I needed inside it!!

It's been a good mind-expanding exercise. And Rog has captured the feel I wanted in EVERY song as he has been playing George Martin to my John Lennon. Apparently there is some magic "mixing dust" in England that we can't get here because I send him coal and he sends back diamonds.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/01/18 04:33 PM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.