Originally Posted By: Teunis
I think there is no substitute for experience but how do you get experience. In the mid 70s I played behind a guy that would simply stand on stage and people would call a song, away he would go. <...snip...>

Tony

When I was a very young musician, there was a single act, an organist way out west in Ft Lauderdale in a bar that seemed to know anything (I think it was called The Hacienda Lounge). He would take requests from the audience, and I never saw him stumped. He was truly amazing. But I guess some people have a special talent for that, and take the time to develop it and make the most of it.

My brother-in-law is in the club-date business. He knows hundreds and hundreds of songs. He also has a talent for very melodic solos, even on difficult songs.

The club date people here do key signatures with fingers. Up is sharp, down is flat, and the number of fingers designate how many sharps or flats. A fist is either C or Am.

I've never done the club date thing, but used to be a regular in a Sunday Jazz Jam. I didn't know the heads of all the songs they played, but I was blessed with a good ear and could fake my way through a solo on almost anything they threw at me.

Here is another suggestion.

Take the music in small chunks. Memorize the first 8 bars, which is often pretty much the A section. Start with the music, then see how far you can play without the music. When you screw up, do it with the music again, then take a couple of minuted doing something else - without your musical instrument. Then try again

When you get the A section down, move on to the next. But be sure to play the A section every time you play the song (without the music). You will get the song 'under your fingers' this way.

See if that works for you.

Of course it will take time and practice, but it will be worth it.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks