Quote:
There a Ctrl+S saves the work, and if I want to do something daring, a Save As with name variation (usually a number) keeps me safe.

I use this idea when storing my MultiCharts data backups. The number is the day of the month (from 1 to 31). This way I can go back no less than 28 days and sometimes 31 days. Well that is the way I use to do it. Now I use an MS-Access program that puts in the day of the week for 7 days of rotation (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun). If one wants a years worth of rotation one good way that can be done manually is to use MMDD in the file name. That way you get the overwrite of last years backup, you know what it means and you can still get them in proper order by update date and time. When doing it manually using MMDD is easier than using the count of the day in the year.

In WYSIWYG web builder it has a rotational backup built in. You just set the number you want it to save and it does it for you. I set it to 100 because I found 20 was just not high enough. At the same time I create my longer term backups with my date-time stamp method using the MS-access program and I don't think I have deleted any yet. These small backups are so small compared to available disk space. A comment can be helpful if it is long enough.

Although the current MS windows backup is not as good as the old WIn XP backup it isn't too bad. I use that as well. I just copy it out to another machine.

It is always good to hear backup ideas. It is just like that old saying "you can never have too many backups".

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/18/18 02:10 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles