I guess I'm strange because most sad songs lift my spirits. That's because many sad songs have an ironic twist.

Oklahoma natives +++ Jason Boland And The Stragglers" +++ have a sad song called "Hard Times Are Relative". The song storyline is about two children 17 and 10 years old that are trying to make it on their own after both parents are killed in a mill fire. How's that for a sad story?

C. Dan mentioned Vern Gosdin. Vern sang a song called +++ "The Number He Gave Me Was Mine" +++. The song is so sad it will make your toes curl. Nobody feels the pain like Vern when he is singing a sad song. He was truly one of a kind.

Two songs that I fall back on whenever I'm down and need a lift are "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" and "Long Black Veil". Both are considered country standards and have been recorded by many artists. +++ Elvis Presley +++ stated in a television show it is the saddest song he ever heard. My favorite version of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" was sung by 12 year old Hank Williams Junior for the 1964 movie +++ Your Cheating Heart +++ . I enjoy Lefty Frizzel's version of "Long Black Veil". Mick Jagger and The Chieftains have a surprisingly interesting recording of the song.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home