Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

Quote:
3. Write a song EVERY DAY.

This works for David and many, many others. Notice he didn't say write a masterpiece everyday. I would bet at least 1 song in 10 years for David turned out to be a "masterpiece for the trash?" wink But from that, many gems were born!

I had the opportunity to see and hear Jeff Steele talking about his writing habits a few years ago in L.A. At the time he had 24 top 10 songs with a number of them going to #1 on the country charts. His comment was that he wrote every day. He'd go into the studio and write something, either alone or with other writers with the goal of one song a day.... sometimes more, sometimes nothing at all.

His further comment was that as an average, out of 100 songs that he finished, maybe one or two of those would be good enough to spend the time and money to demo properly. Out of those that did get demoed, only a small percentage of those got cut, and only a few of those made it up the charts.

Essentially, like everything else, it's a game of numbers and that's after you have a firm grasp on the realities of your craft..... and you have the right connections to get the songs heard by someone who can make the gears move.

edit to add: Just like we often like or dislike the songs we write.... Jeff also said that several of his #1 hits were songs that he never thought were very good or would get cut, for one reason or another, let alone be among his biggest hits. So the lesson learned is, don't judge your songs by what you think.... it's only what others who hear the songs you wrote think of them.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 06/20/18 07:49 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.