I have Win XP on a stage computer that never-ever goes on-line. I've had this computer since 2002 and all it does is display words-and-chords or music notation. No problem. (It's an IBM ThinkPad. Even after IBM sold to Lenovo, the ThinkPads are built like tanks.)

I have another Win7 computer on stage that never goes on-line and does nothing but plays the mp3 backing tracks that I make myself at home. (ThinkPad)

At home I have one XP computer that I use to run an old copy of pre-Win95 Master Tracks Pro. It's so old it has the 8dot3 file name limitation. I use it to make sequences on because it works better for me than newer sequencers that combine audio with MIDI. It never goes online either.(ThinkPad)

Then I have a couple of Win8.1 upgraded to Win10 computers that I do my actual work on. I haven't had a problem with any of the updates. The Win10 computers go on-line. (ThinkPads)

Personally, I wouldn't have an on-line computer that didn't have automatic updates. Auto updates for the OS and Malware/AV apps are the first line of defense against malware.

Sometimes it irritates me when Microsoft changes the routine to find certain features, and I really don't like the newest version of WordPad as much as I did the older version. But all in all I find much more improvement than loss.

Computers are still a newer field. Probably in their adolescence. They have come a long way from the TI/99 that I first purchased or the Atari/ST that was my first actually useful computer. I'd hate to be stuck in the "any program is OK as long as it can fit on a floppy disk" era.

When the industry was a baby, changes were huge, now that it's an adolescent, the changes aren't as obvious, but still there.

Microsoft, like Apple, PG Music, and Norton Music all have to turn profits to stay in business. For software, that means updates, new products, new features, and/or voluntary spyware. I go with new products (Style "Disks" and Fake "Disks"). PG goes with updates that contain new features and styles. MS and Apple go with updates.

It's just a fact of life now.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks