Quote:
Any comment as to what the left and right boxes are saying when they light, and especially stay lit, in addition to the downward meter?

L/R are the true output of the effect back into the mix(er) I think. If your AutoGain is driving these into the red at the Track level, I'd probably want to over ride the AutoGain setting and turn down.

This means that even after compressing (squishing) the signal the signal is still leaving that plugin too loud.
Make up that volume difference further down the chain if needed; you don't want to risk distortion at this point. Boost that same track further down the line instead; like Track Volume ..

I try to get the out signal on the L/R of this plugin peaking about -6 to -3. If the light above the L/R meters are lighting up (clipping) you are assuming certain risks (distortion or thwack), some of which may not show up until later in the process (like mastering). Keep those signals under strict control.

Working on a mix, always leave headroom and don't push signals too hard at this stage.
Gain Staging and Headroom are key ingredients at this point.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome