Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I'm kind of half way there with an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - My current Win 7 desktop is still going strong and is home to both BIAB/RB and Studio One 3.5 Pro. It has an AMD dual-core CPU and maxed out at 4GB DDR3 ram but my workflow does not seem to put a strain on the CPU.

However, I recently had a bit of extra cash and purchased a new Win 10 Desktop tower with a 128 ssd, and 1 TB Hdd, and I7-6 core CPU @ 3.2 Ghz and 16 GB DDR4 Ram. It has gaming features but is supposed to be tweaked for audio.

I loaded the core Studio One Pro program but haven't had a successful completion of any of the 30+ additional downloads of instruments, loops, etc.

Also, the system sound card (RealTek) defaults to 48/24 as the lowest resolution. I can open a program and reset the soundcard to 44.1/16 but sound only works in that program. I have a choice of either/or. I have not experimented and tested to see what happens if I use an audio interface yet.

The third issue is getting BIAB installed to run on the SSD and all the other programs onto the HDD and then back tracking to get the last several years of 49 Paks, Xtra Styles and such.

For the moment, it's back in the box and I'm sticking with Win 7.

UPDATE:

After contemplating the additional cost of replacing the SSD to a larger one, upgrading to a larger monitor and the hassle of getting a complete install of all past/present BIAB RT's and paks plus the hassle of getting Studio One properly installed, I bailed on the new tower and returned it. Purchased a less expensive Dell All-in-one AMD A9 based CPU with 8gb DDR4 Ram, a 23.8 Touch Display and gave it to my wife.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 07/29/18 01:23 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.