Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Damn.....

One thing you may not be aware of concerning common surge protectors. They have a limited life like a year maybe. It sucks I know but they should be replaced regularly. I can't remember where I read this but I think it was here posted by Mac. The problem is small surges that you may not know happened gradually weakens the surge protector until it fails but the problem is they still let power through, you still think they're working.

Bob

Yes.... In the security business, we used a bunch of them on phone lines. That seemed to be how our panels were getting hit.

Most of the ones you buy in the stores, and even the ones we use in this biz are parallel surge devices. They go across the line to neutral or ground. The are good for one hit. When blown, you never know it and there's no efficient way to test them. They're like fuses. Test them and you have to replace them.

There are series surge protectors that are more expensive but you will know when it's blown because nothing downstream from it works.

Yes, small surges weaken the MOV's and eventually, even without a big hit, they have stopped protecting you. Some have lights on them, some (most) don't. And none of the low voltage ones do... phone, internet, comm circuits etc....

Fortunately, prices are way down on TVs and computers so we buy new ones and hope for the best with the surge protection in the lines. They are designed to get the small surges.

When lightning hits the lines directly, and blows the power company transformer on the pole ( 2 of them actually... us and the neighbor) there's nothing made by man that will stop that surge other than to be totally disconnected from the lines.

As I am writing this.... thunder is rolling outside.... let me shut this off and go into the house and take a nap. I think I'll pull the plugs.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.