Thanks for your suggestions, all... I've been traveling, so only just noticed that I had some replies. The answers to your questions are, that... I am indeed using the ASIO driver supplied by Focusrite... I think I have to, in fact. And I think the latency gets worse if I increase the buffer setting in it to above 10ms. Lower than 10ms causes clicks and dropouts. And yes, the latency seems to be about 8/120 ticks, so the suggestion of using the cut/close gap function as a matter of course might be just what I have to do... That's a good suggestion, but surely not all DAWS must suffer from this problem? How does pro equipment and software handle it? I am plugging my monitoring headphones into the HP out jacks on the Focusrite , which I think means that I am doing "direct input monitoring", doesn't it, as that is the whole purpose of these outputs. I'm hearing my backing tracks coming from RB, through these HPs and listening to my playing and singing along, and everything sounds in time. It's only when I listen to the take that I get the latency, so it seems to me that the latency has to come from the processing that takes place in laying the tracks down. Either in the Focusrite driver or from RB or maybe both? Am I right?