I have a solo skit I'm working on where I need to be able to trigger my own short sound clips and have them automatically stop at the end of each clip and be ready to play the next one right after that. I'm thinking it will be similar to having drum kit pieces assigned to notes on a midi keyboard only the sound clips/wav files are various lengths.
What can I use for this?
The clips are very short 1 to 6 seconds each. I won't be able hit stop once a clip starts playing and it will be very awkward if I have to change something on a midi controller or computer keyboard in order to play the next clip. I'll need to be able to hit Play on the keyboard or hit a note on the midi controller to play and then automatically stop.
Best I have for now is using my DAW Reaper and having the clips/items lined up with markers so I can hit space bar/play, space bar/stop then hit the numbers at the top of the keyboard to jump to the marker I need and hit play and stop again. But, like I said, I need my hands and feet free once I play/trigger any one of the samples/wav files. Reaper doesn't have a keyboard shortcut/Action for play then autostop without going back to my cursor position, as far as I can tell.
Maybe a stand alone sampler I can load my own files into? I tried SampleTank3 but it seems either my files are too long or some other issue. It only plays the very first wav file on each midi controller note in the group of 4 trial wav files I tested with although each wav file starts with a different note name.
Anyone here got any cleaver ideas?

Does the noise in your head bother me ?