+1 on the Tascam DR-05

It's very good for capturing your own live mix (but so is the USB snowball mic for about the same price)

But the portability of hand held recording devices (in my opinion) makes them more useful.

You can carry them around in your pocket and record all kinds of things. Conversations with elderly family members. Birds. Other bands. Ambient sounds for remixing.

I make animations, and my Dr-05 is great for capturing all the misc sounds like cars starting, doors closing, lawnmowers running, dogs barking, traffic etc that have to be inserted into stories to make them sound real.

Lots of people use such recorders to collect random sounds then edit them into environmental music. The USB mic is confined to your computer room.

Recordings from the portable recorder can be copied to your computer as wav or MP3 as easily as if they were on a USB thumb drive. Such recorders typically come with a USB cable for transferring files to your computer.

In the final analysis, it boils down to your choice. Both types of products will accomplish your stated purpose