“My new monitors have decreased my creative output.”

For the first time in my 20+ years of home recording, earlier this summer I invested in some proper monitors, and took the time with an RTA mic to equalize the listening position for some issues with my somewhat small basement bedroom studio space.

Now, I can’t stop listening to some of my favorite recordings through these. I know the adage that nearfield monitors are not necessarily supposed to sound desirable and should reveal ugliness but dang these sound great!

A couple nights ago I pulled up Tycho’s “Slack” to see if I could play along on kick and snare with the 7/8 sections of the song and I ended up just listening and taking production notes. I probably listened through the whole thing 5 times and rewound sections, wrote a post about it here because Tycho is a young artist and there’s far too much old fart complaints about new music, and by the time I finished my post it was time for bed.

Anyone else have this experience with new monitors?

I’ve had it with new instruments but usually I can launch that into some creative output. With these monitors I end up just sitting and chilling to great music like I haven’t heard it before.