This is going to be perceived as a “Get off of my lawn!” observation by some.

I listen to quite a few music podcasts to turn my attention to artists I haven’t heard before. Discovering new music to me is one of life’s great pleasures. Sharing those discoveries with others is part of that enjoyment.

Today on the September 7 2018 All Songs Considered podcast they featured two different artists who used the word f-ing as an adjective. The use had nothing to do with describing sex.

One of the artists was described as a great lyricist.

I’m sorry, but that use of the word as a 2 syllable placeholder for the thousands upon thousands of available 2 syllable adjectives and adverbs in the English language is just plain lazy. That artist is a lazy and uninspired lyricist.

If you have resorted to this use of f-ing, please ask yourself next time: “what might fit better here instead of f-ing?”

Unfortunately it’s use doesn’t even shock any longer. It’s not cool. It’s not hip. It’s not useful as a word of protest or praise; nor does it’s root offer any of these benefits.

Fellow songwriters, if you agree with me please share these words. I will sign it here with my actual name. Let’s encourage our fellow songwriters to reach a little farther. I want to hear more of their creativity rather than this laziest of word selections.
Signed,
Scott Lake

Last edited by rockstar_not; 09/07/18 07:04 PM.