Quote:

1. The songs you make in YOUR home studio aren’t just DEMOS.
2. The song is not about your GEAR and Plug-Ins.
3. Finally: YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO ARRANGE A SONG.

1,2,& 3. YES Always approach every song with the idea and attitude that this is going to be on TV, in the movies, or on the next (fill in the blank name) of some big recording artist's new CD. Gear is good, but all the gear in the world is unless unless you know how to use it. You can get better mixes with a basic stock DAW is you know what you're doing, vs having a million dollar studio at your fingertips and don't know how to turn it on.... (figuratively speaking) ....and arranging and producing.... sooooo very important. Plain vanilla is good, in it's proper place and time...... but so is a fully produced mix with all the choirs, orchestras, strings, etc....

The advice to keep adding and subtracting is excellent. It's how I look at every song. Start sparse and build from there. Every line is an opportunity to do something new and exciting. I haste to hear songs that start out full bore and stay that way....ALL. THE. WAY. TO. THE. END. A few exceptions of course, but you know what I mean. You didn't write Call Me The Breeze or Led Zep's Rock & Roll.

My planning, and arranging are done in the BB song construction process. Plan ahead. Think or better yet, envision how this song will sound when it's done. Chances are good it's not going to be a hit, so..... have fun with it. Make up interesting parts, swap the fill instruments around on the verses, and do something totally different on the chorus..... next verse, try to again, be different. Make that song uniquely yours. Who knows, it might be that carefree arrangement that just happens to catch the attention of someone in the industry and the song will be cut by someone other than you, or show up in a movie or TV show.

Don't stay with any one thing for too long in the song no matter how cool and unique it is and no matter how much you like it. Leave them wanting more.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.