There are a few interesting tidbits in the Washington Post article. There have been more than seven multi millon dollar fires at recycle centers around the world attributed to lithium batteries. Apple is not the only manufacturer that embeds lithium batteries within their products but, of the fires where the cause is known (video or other means), all were Apple devices. Apple does not provide any training or support to recycle centers for removing the batteries from any of their devices. Three device fires have occurred at the recycle center the Washington Post reporter visited, all were Apple devices. It takes a self-trained technician about forty minutes, a hot plate, silicon gloves, fireproof container and a fire resistant workbench to safely remove the battery from an Apple Ipad. The recycle center will recover about $1.50 of recyclable materials from the device.

I'm not hammering on Apple, it's just that their products are so popular everyone can easily understand the issue and they are one of the few companies that embed batteries instead of using replaceable batteries or battery packs. But heck, even the battery pack in a Telsa is replaceable.

One of the reasons I buy a Dell computer is because I can download a service manual and decide what I can fix and what's better for a technician to fix. I don't buy Toshiba anymore because I couldn't get service information. I've got service information on my lawn mower and on my digital camera. I can get it on my refrigerator, freezer, washer and dryer. I believe right to fix is a consumer right and companies are starting to realize some consumers want to be actively involved in their products.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home