Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I’m thinking there would be two benefits:

Phones would be kept in use longer, and recycling centers could remove batteries without acting like the bomb squad.

It's called "planned obsolescence" and I'm not saying this is always a bad thing. In tech there's always some new great thing that's "almost" ready for prime time so there's pressure to wait until it's ready before they release the next big thing. Companies could keep waiting forever and go out of business under that scenario so someone makes the decision to draw the line at a certain point and start producing the new version.

One thing I don't understand is why does a tech need to manually remove the battery from an iPad if it's such a risk? Just throw 100 of them into a big shredder with solid steel walls. Those little batteries can sputter and spark all they want until they're little 1/16" pieces. I saw a documentary about a high tech recycling center where they used rotating steel hammers spinning on a roller to break stuff up and then a combination of magnets, chemicals, heat and water on several long conveyor belts with different sized holes separated out the different elements. For gold and silver it was able to produce a brick of slag that was shipped out to be smelted.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.