To make things even more complicated (or less, as the case may be) I ordered the Waves Maserati Vocal plugin VX1, for 20 dollars with my credit.

It has many of the effects Floyd has been referring to in his columns, but with more subtlety and less brittleness than some other plugins. It is really warm for pop and rock vocals.

I compared it to CLA and Nectar this morning and decided it will be my main front and center Vocal plugin from here on out though I will use the other plugins I have for additional tracks, just mixed down lower in the mix depending on how I want the sound (like The Abbey Road ADT.)

I tend to have as many as six instances of the main vocal alone with different effects and one pushed up higher and the rest as flavor.

Also, I find background vox are different than main vox. In that context Waves CLA Vocals is PERFECT for background because it does give you that modern processed feel, whereas I now prefer Maserati for the main.

Nectar is still cool in its place but it is a little too brittle for me to be up front.

I put another $10 coupon on this forum, so if you decide to go this route you could maybe get this for $20 bucks or so today.

* Be careful googling demos of this plug in on YouTube. Stick to known sites like Waves. Norton just blocked a trojan attack on a simple unsuspicious-looking youtube demo. Crazy world.