Hey folks,

I originally posted this in the Off-Topic forum, and, pursuant to Guitarhacker's suggestion, I'm reposting it here with a little extra information. Guitarhacker also had a lot of great input which can be viewed at the original thread here: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=72454&Number=500915#Post500915

So I am active in a lot of Reddit music and music production-related subreddits, and a fair amount of them have "battle of the bands" type bi-weekly or monthly threads, where they match up teams of four or five members and each contributes either by playing an instrument, supplying vocals, taking responsibility over the production and/or mixdown, and I thought it would be really cool to get something like this up and running with the PG Music community.

I'm not really sure exactly how it would, so I'm soliciting both your overall opinion on having something like this, as well as suggestions regarding how it would go.

Some of the possible options of the top of my head:

a) Initial backing track cooked up in BiaB/RB is posted as an SGU, each member of each team, plays a live instrument over a range of bars. The selection of members could be comprised based on the instruments they play--for instance you would have a guitarist matched with a pianist, a horn player, and a vocalist or something else. Or maybe one of the members makes the backing track for others to play over. At the end of the period, participants and/or forum members cast votes for the winning track.

b) As with the Xtra Style PAK contests, there would be separate genre categories that each team could be assigned (e.g. Rock, Hip Hop, Country, Jazz etc., maybe even a MIDI category!)

c) Some sort of randomized mixture of the above? I don't know, you tell me!

In response to this post, Tangmo had generously offered use of his track (with lyrics) posted here: https://soundcloud.com/user-47797156/as-you-go

I was thinking the track could be expanded out to add solo sections. I would be happy to contribute guitar, and maybe even sing the lyrics (don’t know if I'm much of a singer, but I'm eager to give it a shot!), and maybe some other members here could contribute a piano solo and/or horns?

Would love to know your thoughts!

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB