The magic with making Midi sound real is in the nuances, as I mentioned previously. Most live players do NOT think about the nuances in the music as they play. We simply play the parts. For example when I play my guitar, I think about the song, the music, the notes, the groove, the feel and my tone. Sometimes it's conscious and most of the time it's not. What I'm not thinking about is the fret noise, the pick noise, the note slurs, the natural vibrato I use, and a dozen other things...etc.

So if you, as a midi player, wanted to copy my performance via midi and make it sound just like my playing, you not only have to consider all the things I do.... and replicate them, but you also have to figure out where and when to incorporate the things I do not think about when I'm playing and place them in the music at the right time, the right level, and the right sequence. To not do that or to place them incorrectly , not enough, or too much, results in a performance that once again, doesn't pass the "sounds real" test.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, it is, but it certainly takes a level of talent and understanding of the instrument, and how it's played, that you are trying to replicate in a professional manner.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.