He took pains to make his version different, and it is. He does not use any of the "trademark" licks from the original except for the guitar solo.

If he omits the melody, lyrics and guitar solo, essentially what he has is a song that uses the same chord pattern, period. No problem. LOTS of songs use identical chord patterns without infringement of any kind. Chord patterns can't be copyrighted

Now if he's dumb enough to name it "while my guitar gently weeps" while using the same chords, then he might get a phone call from a lawyer or two. But Wiz doesn't strike me as a dumb person.

I've noticed that many current pop and country songs use the recurring chord pattern from Pachelbel's Canon ... and often you don't even notice because the melody/tempo/instrumentation is so different it isn't even remotely reminiscent of the Canon.

any chord pattern + your lyrics + your melody = your song.

How many songs from the 60's were built around C-Am-F-G?
How many blues songs use the same 3 or 4 chords?

True, some chord patterns are more unique and recognizeable than others, but they still can't be copyrighted. WHy not take advantage of a basic idea that you know has already been widely embraced? This is how genres happen.