I wrote this one with my kids, mainly with my eldest Ben (who, incidentally, is by far more talented when it comes to music. He's already a much better keyboard player than I ever have been!) he decided he wanted to write it about video games. We worked together on a chord progression in BIAB and lyrics just before the lockdown. Most of the lyric writing consisted of me reading out gaming terms and asking "is this a thing?"

Unfortunately, he doesn't live with me so I have recorded the vocals and produced it without his input since his mum doesn't want him travelling between houses at the moment. Whenever this is all over and done with I'd like to record it with him singing it.

In terms of producing it I have used Odesi to come up with a few different tracks - the drum track was from Odesi. I copied the drum track over as audio. I quite like Odesi and I'm considering getting Captain Plugins as it's annoying having to go from BIAB to Odesi to Studio One rather than doing the whole thing in my DAW. But I'm not sure it's worthwhile paying $99 if it doesn't do anything Odesi doesn't do - if anyone has both I'd love to hear if it's worthwhile having Captain Plugins as well.

The RealTracks had midi data attached to them so I brought them into Studio One as midi instead so I could have more control over them. I used the AAS player (on the synth tracks) and Ultra Analogue Sessions (bass track) on the BIAB midi tracks. I then used a second bass track sample and a synth track from splice, as well as some video game sounding samples to use throughout the track. I've then used a lot of waves plugins on the tracks: Audiotrack and Trueverb on all of the tracks. I've also sidechained the bass to the vocals. Then DeBreath and WavesTune on the vocal as well and AutoTune and MetaFlanger to give it a electronic-y sound. I've also used UltraPitch and MondoMod on a second vocal track during the chorus.

I hope you enjoy the song, it was a lot of fun putting it together and hopefully will help me when I finally put together the song for the songwriting challenge - which I know I've missed the date for! I've recorded all the vocals for it so hopefully that'll done by the end of the weekend.

Style - _SELEKT.STY. Selekt Dancehall Synth Pop
RT1929: Synth, Bass, EuroDance VerseBass Ev 120 , Ed (Great Oz) Clare
RT1395: Synth, Rhythm, EuroDance SubduedHitsStraight Ev16 120 , Ed (Great Oz) Clare
RT1265: Synth Pad, PopShiningSoft Ev 120 , Blair Masters

Let's Play

Last edited by RichardB1985; 04/03/20 01:09 PM.