Quote:

NOTE: could not un-install software using add/remove programs on control panel. whenever I attempted, I would get error msg: “an installation support file could not be installed. the system cannot find the file specified”

Any help would be appreciated. Anyone know of a 3rd party software that would uninstall it?
Thanks in adv

Here's a free app that helped me recently in a related situation: Glary Utilities. Download and install. DO NOT use 1-Click Maintenance. On the first page of the "Modules" tab, Cleanup & Repair, run their Uninstall Manager. It may just call up Creative's (or any other programs's) built-in uninstall applet and give you the same results you've already met, but it's worth a shot.

Next, run Registry Cleaner. Scan the registry, but DO NOT simply hit the "Repair your registry" button. Instead, manually go through the list and delete items that you KNOW are unneeded. If not sure, leave them alone. You may find hundreds of entries, so this could take a while. (The first time I did this I found nearly 800 items and only left one of which I was uncertain, but eventually deleted.)

Next, run Shortcuts Cleaner. I'd look at each item as above, but this program is unusually 'intelligent' that way. I eventually deleted everything it told me was not needed.

Reboot, and go through the cycle again. Use other modules of the Utilities, too. I've had GU since 06/08, and run it about half a dozen times. Now I only get a handful of stuff unless I install or uninstall something.

Richard

P.S.: If you want to know why some of us are quite cynical about Creative's recent behavior, see the Creative forums. They have removed the link from their site, which should tell you something, so bookmark it if you find it interesting. The issues began with some discoveries about behavior under Vista (they deliberately crippled their older soundcards--Google "Daniel K" for details), but I am suspicious of their having fiddled with capabilities under XP, too. Find your original install disk, or get a copy from someone who has the identical card as yours.

Last edited by Ryszard; 07/06/08 11:56 PM.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."