Quote:

There a are a TON of SF out there, and Allanah's site has some good ones. Just remember to grab the GM Soundfonts only, this way everything will be set up & ready to go. If you grab them a single instrument at a time, you will have to "map them" to the right channels.

Getting a GM soundfont to start with is a good idea. However using a soundfont librarian one can change individual sounds in a soundfont set. Thus if one doesn’t like the muted trumpet sound for example you can replace it with another better sounding muted trumpet. When I was using SF2’s a lot I would always replace the sound effects, #121-127, with usable alternate sounds such as other trumpets, saxes etc. I also had separate modified GM soundfont sets for specific songs. For instance I would replace all of the orchestra and sound effects SF2s and replace them with different sounding brass and reeds if I were doing a big band song. As stated you would have to map them to the right channels and with a sequencer (RB for example) that is very easily done.

SF2’s are a great place to get started. Most are inexpensive and/or free. However as Silvertones have stated it is old technology that has been overtaken by larger more realistic sound sources like Sonivox, Kontakt, Reason etc.

Have fun

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware