In order to buy a gun we have to go to 3 days of classes. You learn how each gun works, take it apart, pick it up, check it, use the safety, etc. They have about 40 guns on a table, for both the long and short gun programs. You have to climb a fence (or if disabled unload and reload), you have to demonstrate skill with shotguns and rifles, handguns, etc. You need a criminal background check and you get a photo ID about 3 weeks after the course. Your spouse if you have one has to sign, either way, be it he or she. I lost my paperwork so I retook the course last year. 1/2 women. I was the only one got 100 percent right through. They show you guns people shot after sticking the barrel in the snow, malfunctioned guns, etc. If you ever point the gun at anyone during the last day of class no gun licence, and wait a year before trying again.

Contrary to popular opinion you can legally buy and own a handgun.

It is estimated that there are 50,000 illegal handguns in Canada, I read the number in NYC alone is 700,000 illegal handguns.

The percentage of the population having a long gun is virtually the same in both countries.

It's a cultural thing. Like the Brits, our police never carried guns until the late 60s.

Yesterday about 50 miles north of here some 70 yr. old nutjob was stopped by a Cop with a 9mm. The guy dove for the ditch and took cover, killed the cop with a rifle before 2 others arrived a wounded him. Being armed and having a vest did not save the cop. Head shot. But that's the only shooting around here in the last 5 years or so. 10 years ago a bunch of bikers got into it killing 2. I think they should have an annual shoot at a farm for them. LOL.

John Conley
Musica est vita