It seems that many people who aren't living in the US or haven't visited here very often get a very false impression of a well armed citizenry. Many people where I work have State issued concealed carry pemits - they make no secret of it. I don't feel at all threatened by this knowldge; in fact, it gives me a feeling of comfort knowing that law-abiding, trained people are out there carrying firearms. Like a lot of Americans, I fear my own government more that it's citizens. States which have concealed carry laws have not seen any increase in firearms violence, and several have decreasing incidents.

The cities with draconian restrictions on firearms ownership have the highest gun crime [Washington, D.C. etc.] because the armed thugs know that the citizens are helpless to defend themselves.

Texas has recently passed a series of laws allowing law abiding citizens the right not to be prosecuted for the lawful use of a firearm in self/family defense virtually anywhere. Essentially, these laws say that when threatened, the citizen does not have an obligation to flee, but can stand their ground and defend themselves and others from serious, life-threatening attacks. This seems very common sense to me, but I am amazed how many people believe that this behavior is somehow flawed.

Gun crimes in this country are almost all committed by mentially ill people or criminals. This may be an indictment of our pathetic mental health system and of our nearly broken criminal law system, but it's not an indictment of armed citizens, who have prevented countless crimes by appearing with and /or using a firearm. You may not hear about these incidents because they don't get the press coverage, but tens of thousands occur every year.

The US continues to have a vibrant tourist trade despite it's well-armed citizenry. If you fear these citizens, then go ahead and spend your leasure time and money elsewhere, but please be advised that the good folks aren't going to hurt you.

Fire, the wheel, and the I IV V -- foundations of civilization.