I think a lot of people who don't live in the US get the wrong idea when they hear terms like "open carry" and "conceal and carry permits".

I have lived in an "open carry" state for the last 30 years. I have NEVER seen anyone openly carry a firearm. But it's legal if they do as long as they're not a felon.

I have a conceal and carry permit. The last time I "carried" was probably 4 years ago when I was riding my 4 wheeler in the woods. Most people I know who have the permit seldom, if ever, carry their firearm. So even the folks who legally can, seldom do, with some exceptions of course.

But the criminals don't know who is carrying and who isn't. If I knew I was going to be in a high crime area, I would exercise my right to conceal and carry.

It is nice that my son and I can take our firearms, load them into the car, drive to the shooting range, walk up to the stall next to a state trooper or county deputy, set down a satchel full of handguns and ammo, lay the rifles and shotguns down, and the only questions I get from the trooper or deputy is "how do you like that Smith & Wesson 38 Special? May I shoot it?"

I know this seems strange to a lot you that don't live in the US and even strange to some of you who do live here. But it's part of the American culture and our history. You don't have to agree with it. But don't villify those of us who choose to exercise our rights.

And by the way, I'm not "fascinated" with guns. I'm "fascinated" with guitars. If you want to see me get excited, pull out a 1942 Gibson L5 guitar! My eyes will light up like a Christmas tree! LOL.

Bob