Bob, in answer to your other question:
It was the 1997 Firearms Act and the mechanism for confiscation was as follows, bearing in mind this was probably the first time legislation had been passed to make ownership of legitmate personal possessions retroactively illegal.
The Home Office prepared a comprehensive catalogue of all items we pistol shooters might own, including all known types of pistol, ammunition, reloading equipment, holsters, etc. The catalogue showed surrender prices. We had to fill in a form, send it off and then were sent an appointment to go to our local Police HQ. It was conducted in a terribly British fashion - we even had a reserved car parking space to pull into! I then had to take my stuff inside to a private room, sat down and a very courteous policeman (a member of my local club) made things as gentle as possible. Items were checked, put in an individual cardboard box for each shooter. There was an enormous wall of boxes behind me.
I must confess I had a tear in my eye at the time due to the sheer injustice of it all and sadness that the sport I loved so much was now at an end. A few days later a compensation cheque arrived from the government and that was that. I kept one item in order to show it to my grandchilden ('we used to be trusted to by our government to own these, son') as you could keep guns but only if you had them deactivated. So I still have my Beretta 92F auto (standard US army), albeit in an inert form. (Note to self: I have a feeling that even da-acts might have been made illegal since, but sod 'em...)

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4