Quote:

That is why these checkpoints are disturbing here. They are a recent phenomena, and previously a lot of us thought the police needed a reason to pull you over and check you. It is one of those things we are allowing to happen just recently, and I think a lot of us are weighing the value of it. I think most of us know the implication of allowing it, and also the cost of fighting it.
I'm more of a 'personal freedom/rights' guy than a 'protect everyone at all costs' guy. We take risks when we go out on the road. Should we slowly give up our freedom for reduced risk?

It is possible that there *IS* a reason that the general public does not know about. But how would citizens differentiate between harrassment and a real reason without insider knowledge about the reason for the roadblock? In the case of reference, they may have had a tip about 2 gangs meeting at a specific location for a clash.. (if that were in fact the case, would it affect your view of the event?)

whether or not this is offensive to me depends on whether or not I trust the motives of the police conducting the operation. Best case, they are honestly looking for a fugitive or drunk driver in the interest of public safety. In that case, people who are not doing anything have nothing to be concerned about.

However, if they have an alternate agenda of generating income or profiling , then I would not like it. THe problem is in knowing their agenda. And I'm not real big on "trust me" as a reason for anything...

Last edited by Pat Marr; 03/21/10 06:57 PM.