Quote:

Also like to say I am impressed with how people have handled themselves here. This many pages and no screaming or vicious flaming.
I was one person who PM'd Gary to say I thought something he said was offensive. He edited it, which took a lor of compassion for views of others. I appreciate that. That was just one of the behind-the-scenes displays of character shown so far.
I also edited my response to him so no sign of any of it exists now, out of respect for Gary.

I agree. A lot of different people have contributed to the discussion. It has been uncommonly civil. And the respect shown by various individuals who removed posts once they realized someone was offended... that's as good as it gets in a discussion forum. Musicians are good people.

And if you think about it, music is the ultimate conveyor of ideas. The ability to navigate the world of ideas should be very useful to a songwriter. If we learn how to make a statement without offending, and cause people to step back and say "hmmm. I never thought of it that way before..." that is powerful stuff for a songwriter.