Quote:

The problem is that one man’s organised group legitimately (and constitutionally) defending its members’ right to remain ‘free’ is another man’s bunch of dangerous, armed and homicidal nutters

A Jewish historian friend of mine claimed that 100,000 or more Jews left the US during the revolution and came to Canada fearing those same gun toting persons.

It's documented that 10,000 blacks left the US, having either fought for England or just because slavery in Canada at the time was very scarce, and no one would enslave someone who arrived here on their own. The end of the underground railway is just a short drive from here....

Over 100,000 Scots, many of the relatives of mine, originally from N. and S. Carolina (Mostly MacDonalds descendants of Islay, came to Canada, 1/2 to Nova Scotia and the other half to Ontario.

Tens of thousands of people of German descent moved north.

Hutterites, Mennonites, "Friends", Amish, and many Dutch people came at the same time, establishing towns like Berlin (Now Kitchener for obvious reasons).

All through the US there was a network of appointed people who worked for the Brits, postmasters, sherrifs, and civil servants who had jobs given to them by the crown, and they either got out fast, or were killed, tarred and feathers etc.

The biggest influx by percentage of new Canadians arrived during the revolution, and gun toting people in unorganised mobs mowed down anyone they though of as a British person.

So at the end, we got a bunch of people who wanted nothing to do with guns, nothing to do with revolutions, and who used diplomacy to create a society.

And a bunch of the opposite types stayed south of the 49th as we call it. Along the border there is a mix of people who can't decide where they stand. Especially the really close places, like east of here where before 9 11 you could just take a small street or country road and cross the border without drones, balloons and the Border Patrol.

So in short the "peace-niks" came north, and the cowboys stayed south.

Here when you smile at someone, even an American because if the didn't start talking yet they look like us only bigger, and you just say "Hey how's it going eh?"

If you smile at someone in the US you may just get "who you staring at ****!!$%#%#".

Been there and done that. And you worry about the gun.

Here the cops pull you over and ask if you would be so kind as to show him your papers.

There the pull you outta the car, shove yer face in the gravel, and cuff you, search you, and then ask why you licence plate light is out. Don't run out of gas on I-75 at midnight just on the north end of Flint Michigan. 3 shotguns pulled on me, had to walk backwards with my hands behind my head, and lean over my car. The kids 8 and 10 were wetting themselves.....here they call a towtruck, give you 2 gallons of gas, and the cop might go for coffees and doughnuts while you wait.

I think I'll go watch COPS and sing Bad boy....

No wait the Sopranos is on at 8....na, I'm going to sing! It's going up to 16C today and the sun is out, no clouds....yippee.....

John Conley
Musica est vita