Open debate per title.

A. background.
Year after year on various recording forums the “elephant in the room’ is often the new user setting up a project studio getting frustrated with setting up the correct settings needed in order for the sound device to work well with their chosen music software.
Ive seen it on lots of different forums…..thus long threads ensue….and a ton of frustration often.
One sees it often every year on these pg forums too.

For some time now ive been pondering how best to help a new user who encounters set up problems…cos often the software is blamed whereas the real issue is... correctly
choosing not only a good sound interface with good low latency drivers , but also setting up things correctly in the daw software…in this case pg software.

Thus i offer up some ideas for wider debate….so please feel free to debate/discuss/offer up your own ideas cos at some point even the most experienced user was a novice.

B. Some ideas.
i think it might be useful to have a new forum called something like ‘the settings forum’. Where new people encountering problems can be directed to and which includes...
ACTUAL PICTURES of peoples settings that WORK….in 4 main areas that sometimes give probs.

1.Biab settings pics.
2.Realband settings pics.
3.Windows settings pics for both recording and playback…and finally
4.Pics of The sound device settings/user control panel as a lot of usb audio interfaces now have pretty sophisticated user control apps with many settings often.
(obviously above pics would not show just audio settings but also midi).

Ie what i’m struggling with is…the best way to help the new user.
Rharv made a good point to me in that there so many different combos of settings not just in windows but also in music software.

Are there any better approaches ? than giving new users tried and true solutions
And templates that work per above ?

I now invite other folks thoughts to how to solve this ‘very difficult elephant in the room’
and ‘conundrum’.
Of course one bugaboo i see possibly is would users be willing to spend some time posting pics of their recording rig settings that work ?

as they say in any debating room at oxford “i open it up to the floor’...lol

Best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/19/22 02:55 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)