Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Would a software Windows/Mac MIDI patchbay help with this?
There are several around on the 'Net.
I've not used one on Windows, so can't comment on suitability, but I use a couple on Linux, to allow me to route MIDI to multiple programs.

I don't think so in reference to the intended use of MIDI detailed by Mr. Kennedy. BIAB is not the right recording tool. The process should be reversed. Render a scratch stereo WAV file of the song from BIAB and use it as the guide track to record the Kontakt instrument in his DAW that will correctly play and monitor the Kontakt instrument.

It's preferable to record the VST instrument in a DAW the same as one would prefer recording vocals in a DAW if applying high end Fx's rather than record in BIAB without Fx's. Mr. Kennedy is looking for a custom sound.

For the intended outcome desired by Mr. Kennedy using a VST Kontakt instrument, there's no need to record any MIDI into a BIAB track. Even if the intention is to continue working in BIAB, all that's necessary is the performance of the instrument, which is an Artist Performance File. If changes are necessary to the Artist Performance File, do the additional recording in the DAW and import the new file into BIAB.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.