I think RealTracks have revolutionized this product. It will most certainly last, unless people suddenly hate real musicians playing real instruments. There are plenty of things that haven't even been done yet, so they're just getting started...

Personally, I like having the choice of MIDI and RTs. MIDI does offer some freedom to create what you want and they can sound really good. Look at Samplemodeling's jazz instruments. They sound outstanding and you can create the solo that you hear in your head. But good luck with that - you'd better have plenty of time to work and lots of MIDI keyboard talent. It will take some work.

RealTracks, on the other hand, are instantly natural and authentic. Sure you're stuck with the sound and solo output, but if you don't like it, generate it again or try a different RT. If that doesn't work, then MIDI VSTis are still an option. There are quality choices now.

As for the price, there have been times when I didn't have the cash, so I totally understand. But paying real studio musicians is not cheap, so that's the reality. For a price comparison, take a look at loop sets sold by other companies. They are usually pretty close and, from my experience, not easier to use at all. PG Music has taken music making ease to a whole new level, so it's a much better deal. I recommend saving your money and buying the upgrades when you can. Besides, it's always better to support the true good guys in the business world.