Quote:

The click is essential today because of plug and play and diy's and daw's.

If you're gonna have other musicians play parts for you, they cant play after your part is done, they need to be playing at the same time. so when not playing at same time the click essential, but it also makes the music not nessecarily bad, but not "live" sounding. For rock music, live sounding is what your should be striving for.

I disagree, if done right it is seamless, and does facilitate multitracking, which is essential these days..
Quote:

For pop...or singer songwriter stuff, the new way is probably ok.

BTW, how does a drummer push or pull back behind a click, when the other instruments are doing something else. generally drummers play with a click in one ear, and a reference track in the other
ear, but the reference track is generated via a click track as well.

Dunno how to answer. Playing ahead or behind the click is an essential part of live feel.

Quote:

Now what do you mean about using all human feel in BIAB?

How is that done, Im not crazy about "humanizing" effects, they just create random flucuations but not
human ones.

That is not what I am talking about. You can play a guitar track, totally free-style (no click) and then have the program generate a click that lines up with what you played. Faster when you went faster, and slowing down when you did. Calculated to thousandths of a second (more actually). Then you can have realtracks and other musicians play to that (varying) tempo if desired. Just getting a count-in out of it is priceless. Click tracks can be very useful.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome