Yes, good point Robh, wise moreover. I agree with you, Kent and countless users, TTS-1 is a excellent GM module, with genuine Roland sounds, and if not enuff, at a bargain price. The experience of listening BiaB MIDI side with a great sonic source is simply priceless!.

Let us to wait for Ginna reply, but as I'm concerned I am very clear on my reasons to use instruments from different synths/samplers. As I mentioned before, I feel strongly interested toward what allow me to enhance the BiaB experience, further making things easier, but certain conditions must to be fulfilled: to me Tools and process involved must be user friendly. MIDIoX can't be compared or placed beside a virtual rack, Chainer is amazingly easy to use, and unlike Midi Ox, it hosts your VST/DX devices into itself without leaving the main application, Band-in-a-Box in this case. Not tangled virtual cables connections or ASIO conflicts with external synths since it share the same audio engine than BIAB. Beside, is not possible to render a song in BiaB from an external synth connected with a virtual cable. That leaves MIDI Ox for just auditioning, many users will be happy this way. Midi Ox still being a great and FREE solution for which was created, not hassle at all, an indispensable tool for connecting MIDI devices where, otherwise, that would be impossible.

Robh, you are right when you say that under these conditions, for you, and indeed for many users, it isn't really neccessary to have the very best samples. But although the choice between a GM synth and expanded sonic sources depends of user and his/her preferences, also it is a matter of time and priorities. Fortunately is not a mandatory rule for every user to stick to a single method of listening the music in BiaB. I often find myself in different situations, sometimes you can catch me using the simpleton directx Windows MIDI wave table, and it can be enough to get a sound clue in a chord progression or backing track practicing with alumnus in classroom. Others I use VCS or Coyote for checking demo songs, browsing interesting chord progressions, for song construction etc, where the sound quality is second to music. Also, finally and not infrequently, a good GM synth like TTS is all I need to finish a song in BiaB before export it to RealBand, like you do. Now with RealTracks and RealDrums the magic is with us! But I'm still enjoying many instruments parts from the myriad of MIDI Styles in BiaB, and by combining them with RT and RD. Is then where I like to try others sonic alternatives as more sophisticated virtual instruments. The key word for me is “Inspiration” … I love to record "on the fly" my ideas, solos, chords and grooves with my guitar in the BiaB available audio track, sometimes a song after another, without stop the creative flow and without worry about export processes too early, and in the same way I can't imagine all the RealTracks recorded by a unique musician multi-instrumentalist, sometimes I can not stand with a unique sound source GM synth for my songs while I stay in the realm of BIAB, despite all the good that a GM synth can sound, just is not sufficient for me, mainly knowing that superior and friendly alternatives are available.
The tools are out there, and some very good ones, like TTS, RealBand or Chainer. The user hold the last world, a matter of personal choices….and imagination!

cheers
Carlos