Hi George,

Nice song. I like the structure and instrumentation.. and I have commented favorably on your vocals many times in the past (still true)

The first thing I did was read through the lyrics (without hearing the song). After reading the verbal content I was expecting a more melencholy accompaniment.... but the song was actually kind of bouncy and upbeat. At first that left me with a sense of cognitive dissonance (tapping my foot while thinking about the irreversable passage of time and all its accompanying regrets is not my usual style. I prefer a bit more self-delusion with my foot-tapping)

But after a few more listens, it started to fit into a pattern that makes more sense to me. In the 60s there were a lot of songs along this line. It wasn't yet fashionable to be totally dark lyrically, so the songs expressed concerns with an air of hope and tentative optimism. So my final take on the song is that the central character is not so much lamenting the passage of time as he is reflecting on it. Wondering aloud without passing any judgments or conclusions as to whether the time had been spent wisely... all with an upbeat "either way, it is what it is" attitude.

Now you've got me thinking. (Perhaps that's what songs do best...)